Friday, March 16, 2007

2007 Taekwondo Friendship Open

I attended Utah’s 2007 Friendship open a few weeks ago in March. This is a really fine tournament hosted by Elite Martial Arts in West Valley, Utah. This tournament is different than most taekwondo tournaments I attend in that it focuses on everything other than sparring. There are forms, weapons, breaking, and team demonstrations. Because there is no sparring the competition has a lighter feel. People are more friendly and I felt a general air of martial arts brotherhood in the building.

Elite Martial arts has a nice size dojang; however, it was still a little small for as many competitors and spectators as were there. But I didn’t really mind. Being so close to so many other martial arts minded people kind of forced me into meeting interesting people. I enjoyed chatting with several of them and exchanging martial arts stories.

The tournament had that CTC touch. By that I mean it ran smoothly with few, if any, real hiccups. Taralyn Sorenson and James Bartholomew of CTC Taekwondo have been working closely with other school owners in Utah to raise the quality of taekwondo competitions in Utah through better organized events and better trained officials. It is having a positive effect already.

What I enjoyed the most about the competition was holding boards for the kids and the adults during the breaking. Being so close to the kids at the moment of their trial was exhilarating. There are the looks of disbelief when the boards don’t break. There are the looks of disbelief when the boards do break. There was the helping them off the ground where they tumbled on a failed flying sidekick attempt. There was the patting them on the arm after they had snapped those boards. I loved it.

The demonstration teams were a lot of fun. There are a lot of talented kids in Utah. I saw some great gymnastics from kids who aren’t gymnasts. I worked very closely with the team from Beehive Martial Arts and I know how many hours are put into trying to bring the teammates together. We spent three hours each Saturday for weeks trying to get the routine down. The team did fine at the event, but they didn’t do nearly so well as in their last practice. Their timing was off. I think this was due to performing in a smaller area than they had practiced in. They were too inexperienced to adjust. The other teams were great. Lots of martial arts techniques, running, flipping, and falling.

I enjoyed the day very much. It was a 200 mile round trip for me and the others in my school, but for me it was worth it. I am looking forward to next year. I think I might even join in the competition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the article. Its nice to hear that you enjoyed the competition. We hope to keep improving competitions each year.

Shane Myler
UATA
AAU
President